With more than 20 years experience in extending the useful life of electronic devices and reducing waste, ANOVO has established itself as a leading company within the circular economy model and a pioneer in collaborating with other companies who are committed to building a more sustainable economy. By sticking closely to environmentally responsible principles, the company works hard to help reduce the environmental impact of the sector, as well as contribute to economic and social development.
With respect to the circular economy model in particular, ANOVO has been collaborating with the Spanish company Cellnex. Thanks to ANOVO’s Hub service, the company has made changes to its production and consumption processes, contributing towards the development of a more sustainable economy.
Below, we talk more about this circular economy success story:
Cellnex is a Spanish company whose business model is based on the deployment and management of telecommunications infrastructure, particularly in towers and antennas. Its service focuses on sharing and re-using existing infrastructure and natural resources to maximise energy efficiency and minimise their environmental impact.
Cellnex’s action plan for a more sustainable economy is based on the following principles:
- Infrastructure sharing: Cellnex encourages the sharing of towers and antennas between different telecommunications operators. This model prevents the duplication of infrastructure. It also optimises the use of resources and, therefore, reduces emissions.
- Re-use of existing infrastructure: Cellnex aims to make use of existing telecommunications structures, such as towers and antennas, rather than building new ones. This change reduces the consumption of materials and energy associated with the construction of new infrastructure.
- Efficient resource management: Cellnex implements different technologies and practices to maximise the energy efficiency of its installations. This involves using energy management systems, harnessing renewable energy sources and monitoring and optimising energy consumption. Through these practices, the company contributes towards a reduction in the greenhouse effect.
One of the services that ANOVO offers is its centralised Hub service. The Hub is a dedicated service centre that seeks to achieve maximum coordination between various processes, such as logistics, maintenance, technical services, etc.
ANOVO also uses this model with radio and energy technologies. It is based on concentrating the logistics for all repairs at a single point (SPOC – ‘Single Point of Contact’) and allocating the highest percentage of repairs as possible – currently around 75% – to ANOVO’s I&N workshop. This repair centre forms part of the facilities where ANOVO provides the Hub Service, and this has several benefits for the circular economy, such as:
- Increased efficiency for repairs: By centralising repair services, it is possible to leverage economies of scale and expertise to streamline and optimise repair processes. This centralisation helps to reduce equipment and device downtime while minimising costs and resources required for repairs, optimising all Cellnex operations.
- Re-use of components: With this centralised repair model, components and parts taken from defective equipment and devices can be recovered and re- used. This reduces the need to manufacture new components, reduces the demand for natural resources and helps combat climate change in the long term.
- Appropriate recycling: In cases where equipment or components cannot be repaired, the centralised service model makes it easier to recycle materials correctly. ANOVO’s repair centre ensures that materials are safely processed and recycled according to environmental regulations, thereby preventing pollution and the accumulation of waste.
- Resource optimisation: By centralising repair services, there is a reduced need for multiple external repair facilities. In turn, this reduces the demand for resources in terms of infrastructure and staff. In addition, ANOVO already incorporates efficient energy management and waste reduction practices at this specialist centre.
- Upgrades and continuous improvement: A centralised model like the one offered by ANOVO facilitates data collection on the most common and recurring faults in equipment and devices. This aids continuous improvement in product design and manufacturing. Therefore, it also helps to prevent the need for future repairs and reduce the resources and processes required to achieve a sustainable economy.
As can be seen, with respect to radio and energy technology, the centralised repair service model offered by the Hub promotes greater efficiency, re-use, proper recycling and optimisation of resources.
The benefits that this model generates are aligned with the objectives of the circular economy, as it minimises waste and maximises the value of equipment and devices throughout their useful life. This way, ANOVO is able to contribute to the sustainable development of the planet through collaborations with other companies that have made the circular economy an integral part of their business vision.